History of the Church
As its name might imply, The Church of the Nativity had a humble beginning – in a barn. Parishioners from St. Paul’s Episcopal Church living in the Mud Creek Valley/Lantern Hills area, met in April, 1957 to discuss forming a new parish and finding the leaders needed to spearhead the effort. By June, a copper-guttered barn built of Indiana Limestone on 3.3 acres had been purchased from the Glen Caldwell estate on Lantern Road Because Christ was born in a manger, “The Church of the Nativity” was born.
The first service in the buildings on Lantern Road was on October 16, 1957, after much work and remodeling was done by church members. The barn as well as dog kennels, a tack room, an and an implement shed, were redone and connected. The church became a mission in November, 1957.
Work was complete on the barn to convert it to the nave, and it was dedicated on October 18, 1960. Ground was broken for the present nave on October 31, 1992 and dedicated on September 14, 1993. The beautiful Memorial Garden was dedicated June 19, 1994, in memory of Dr. John Quay, former vestry member who helped tend the grounds for many years.