The Nativity Labyrinth was completed in 1995 and is painted on a 36-foot wide piece of reinforced vinyl canvas. It was first offered to the congregation during the 1995 Lenten season. When it is opened in the Great Hall, the center of the labyrinth is in the same location from which the Holy Gospel was read in the old stable for over thirty years of worship! Occasionally the Nativity labyrinth is taken to conferences and other events to encourage prayer and entice other groups to initiate similar projects.
Volunteers make the Labyrinth available on various occasions for use as a tool for prayer, contemplation and spiritual growth. Trained facilitators offer an optional, brief introductory talk on history and Christian usage. Groups can be accommodated by contacting the church at 317-849-3656.
Our NEW Outdoor Labyrinth was completed in May 2014. It was an Eagle Scout Project of parishioner Leo Miller and took the hard work and dedication of many volunteers.
The Labyrinth is a scale replica of an ancient walkable design constructed around 1200 AD in the stone floor of Chartres Cathedral, France. Unlike a maze, the labyrinth is unicursal, having a single path leading to the center with no loops, cul-de-sacs or forks.
Medieval Christian pilgrims visited Chartres (and other cathedrals) to walk the labyrinth as an alternative to taking a hazardous pilgrimage to Jerusalem to walk in the “foot steps of Christ.” Modern “pilgrims” walk the labyrinth path as one of many tools offered to enhance prayer and spiritual growth.
Labyrinths are found in many forms throughout history, including the Aztec, Egyptian, Hopi, Greek and Norwegian cultures.
Our labyrinth was made by parishioner John Ridder. Additional info and resources on his work can be found on his website: www.paxworks.com